Friday, January 3, 2014

Birds of 2013 - April Part 1

April was the biggest month of the year, due in large part to a three day Bird and Owl Tour in the Okanagan later in the month.

However, the first April Blog will detail the birds seen prior to the start of the tour on the 23rd.

As mentioned in previous posts, the photo accompanying the bird is the best one I took of the bird that year, not necessarily the photo taken on the first sighting date. This is especially applicable with common birds photographed early in the year. In some cases there are two photos of a bird, which means I couldn't choose one.

#84 Double-crested Cormorant - Date: Apr 1. Location: Northview Golf Course, Surrey.
Nothing like annoying your fellow golfers by noticing a bird in a nearby pond and taking time to pull out the camera and take a shot or two. I was not sure of the ID at the time and was a bit disappointed to discover it was "only" a Cormorant.
The photo below is a much better shot I took at Lighthouse Marine Park in Point Roberts in September.
























#85 Eurasian Wigeon- Date: Apr 1. Location: Northview Golf Course, Surrey.
Sometime later in the round, Pat asked me "What's that strange looking duck over there?".
I immediately grabbed my camera and headed over. The Eurasian Wigeon is an occasional visitor that mixes with our American Wigeon. The last time I had seen one was 1992. I did see another in November at Ambleside Park in West Vancouver, but this is the shot from the golf course.

























#86 Mew Gull - Date: Apr 6. Location: Brydon Lagoon, Langley.
Last year, I met a birder named Randy who recommended this location as an excellent birding spot. He should know as his house backs onto this small park area. After parking I noticed a group of gulls in a nearby pond and casually snapped off one shot. Today was the first day I was using my new 400mm telephoto lens in the wild. I met up with Randy that day and he asked me if I had seen the Mew Gulls.
Upon checking my photo I realized I had just added species #358 to my life list.
When I returned to my car, the gulls were gone.

























#87 Common Yellowthroat - Date: Apr 6. Location: Brydon Lagoon, Langley.
This is a warbler that lives in marshy areas. The male is unmistakable in appearance and the "witchey, witchey" call is very distinctive.
The photo below was taken in Burns Bog just off the boardwalk in June. The second photo is likely an immature male. It was taken in September at Serpentine Fen in Surrey.


























#88 American Robin - Date: Apr 6. Location: Brydon Lagoon, Langley.
Amazing that it took me until April to record a Robin. This photo was taken at Serpentine Fen in Surrey in May.
























#89 Black-bellied Plover - Date: Apr 6. Location: Boundary Bay, Delta.
Spring migration brings shorebirds up from the south. This plover can be seen in great numbers on Boundary Bay in spring, and then again in early Fall. The photo is of a juvenile making its first voyage from the North. It was taken in September at Boundary Bay.

























#90 Dunlin - Date: Apr 6. Location: Boundary Bay, Delta.
Another common shorebird, these ones do spend the winter in Delta. This photo was taken from the Westham Island Bridge in Ladner.

























#91 American Kestrel - Date: Apr 6. Location: 112 St, Delta.
Always a treat to see the smallest Falcon in North America, particularly in Delta.This section of 112 Street north of #10 Highway is a good spot as it is mostly farmland. Photo conditions were poor by the time this was taken.
























#92 Chestnut Backed Chickadee - Date: Apr 6. Location: South Surrey.
April 6th was a good day for sightings, and after the Kestrel we headed to our friends place for dinner. Out on their balcony was a Chestnut-backed Chickadee, adding to the year list again. The photo below was taken in our backyard in June.
























#93 Eurasian Collared-Dove - Date: April 7. Location: 112 St, Delta.
I returned to this location again to see if I could get a better photo of the Kestrel, but it was nowhere to be seen. There were a good collection of Collared Doves. This dove was introduced to the Bahamas in the 1970's and reached Florida soon after. It has been spreading across the continent and is considered an invasive species in North America. It is similar to the Mourning Dove, but is easily distinguished by the black "collar" that goes part way around the neck. It's cooing is similar but not as pleasant as the Mourning Dove.
























#94 Sora- Date: April 14. Location: Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam.
This is a member of the Rail family, which are marsh inhabitants. They are usually notoriously difficult to see. There were reports on the bulletin boards that this rail was being seen openly at Colony Farms. I headed down and found the photographers (easier than finding the bird) and it put on a good show for about 30 minutes. Of the 61 shots I took the one below was the best. This was the first real good use of the new camera and lens.

























#95 Pileated Woodpecker - Date: April 19. Location: Burns Bog, Delta.
We sometimes have these big guys in our back yard, but I was getting antsy about adding it to the year list. I spotted one just off the boardwalk in Burns Bog, but the photos were terrible. My only other sighting was on the Grouse Mountain Powerline trail in July.
























That's it for this post - April Part 2 will be the start of our Okanagan tour.


No comments:

Post a Comment